Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My month in a nutshell

One month ago I woke up in the middle of the night to  strangers in my bedroom.  I was really confused and didn't know what had happened.  I did not even know who Chris was.  I did know that I needed to use the restroom and my social security number.  I was loaded into an ambulance and informed about what had happened...I had a seizure and was not responding afterwards.  I spent the day at the hospital trying to get my blood pressure back to normal and taking many tests to see if I had a tumor or any other obvious cause for a seizure.  I was sent home to recover.  My tongue was huge and I had bit through it several times.   My memory was horrible.  I couldn't even focus on a sentence without getting distracted.  I felt like an adult crammed into a child's brain.  I knew things but could not quite get to them, simple things like words.  A week later I had an MRI, lumbar puncture, and EEG.  They were horrible tests.  I did find out that I am not epileptic.  There was a small white spot on my brain but the neurologist thinks that is because I get a lot of migraine headaches.  He prescribed a migraine medicine that also controls seizures.  That was the worst thing I have ever done.  You know when there is a mile long list of possible side effects with a pill, I had every one but two of them with this pill.  At first I thought I was just having problems because we had just moved and I did too much for my body to handle, but I have realized that it was the pill that was causing to many problems.  I told my doctor that I would rather have headaches constantly than not remember what I am saying, be too tired to do anything with my kids, or just feel like I am crazy all the time.  I already am hating life because I can't drive for three months.  I feel like I have lost any freedom I had.  I also am mad because I wanted to do some fun things with the kids this summer.  I stopped taking the pills and have started to feel like myself more each day.  The headaches have come back but I am okay with that.  I had been taking this medicine for 3 weeks and felt like a horrible person the whole time with the mood swings, anxiety, memory loss, swollen tongue, not being able to read, and sleeping over 12 hours every day.  I have stopped taking the pill for 3 days and feel more like myself than I have in the last month.  I will be meeting with an opthamologist soon because one of my optic nerves is swollen and that could have caused the seizure.  Hopefully it was just a fluke and I will never have a seizure again or the opthamalogist will be able to detect something.  I am also hoping that with me getting back to normal, I can do some fun thing with my boys before school starts again.  I am so grateful for the many family and friends that have helped out during this hard time.  We could not have made it through the last month without everyone's love and support.

2 comments:

Alison Hixson said...

Oh Nov, I'm so sorry! I am surprised to read that this is happening to you, because something so very similar is happening to my friend up here as well. It is some crazy, scary stuff. I hope that you start feeling up to doing fun summer stuff soon. What a lousy way to spend a summer!

We need to get our boys together this summer!

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

How very scary that must have been for you. :( I agree with you about taking certain meds....sometimes the side effects are worse.

Hang in there and I am praying you get feeling back to normal soon. ((HUGS))